Mercy staff (Pink skin)- overwatch

*The staff brakes down into sections to fit inside a suitcase for transportation*

Bottom Spiral

To create the bottom spiral, I first took in game reference images from Overwatch of Mercy's staff. I then created my base lines in Adobe Illustrator. I next imported my lines into a 3D modeling CAD program called Rhino 6 and made the spiral and gem. Once I was happy with how they looked, I printed them on my 3d printer. To get rid of the ‘stair-step’ look from the 3D printer I covered the spiral & gem with a Flexible Spackling Dap and sanded smooth. To smooth the pieces even more I then covered them with two coats of sandable spray paint and sanded smooth. Once dry I airbrushed everything a base coat of white. Next I airbrush painted the spiral pink and the gem hot pint. To give the "floating" gem look, I used a clear acrylic rod that I cut to the proper length. The final step was to epoxy the spiral, gem & clear acrylic rod to the broom and the bottom spiral of the staff was done!


Middle Section

To create the middle section, I first took in game reference images from Overwatch of Mercy's staff. I then created my base lines in Adobe Illustrator. Next I gathered my materials for the main staff (broom stick, threaded inserts & threaded rods). To be able to disassemble the staff and fit it inside a suitcase, I cut the broom into four sections. Next, I drilled & then glued the male (threaded rods) & female (threaded inserts) into the broom. To add the details onto the broom, I cut 2, 4, 8mm EVA foam out using my template as a guide. I next sanded the edges & heat treated all of the foam & glued it to the broom stick with contact cement glue. To get rid of the seams and cracks I used Kwik Seal. After the Kwik Seal was dry, I sprayed three coats of Plasti Dip (covering the screws with masking tape before spraying). Next I taped off sections and airbrush painted parts silver and black. After this I removed the tape & re taped the silver painted areas. I then did a white base coat followed by pink airbrush paint. I then covered all pink painted areas and painted hot pink & purple. After all paint was dry, I covered everything previously painted and airbrushed a gradient pink. The last steps were to remove the tape & add details with black acrylic paint and the middle section of the staff was done!


Crown & Tube

To create the crown & tube parts, I first took in game reference images from Overwatch of Mercy's staff. I then created my base lines in Adobe Illustrator. I next imported my AI lines into a 3D modeling program called Rhino 6 & made my inside of the tube part (making a hole on top for attaching the crown & slot on bottom for the tube to sit in). I then 3D printed my two pieces on my Prusa i3 mk2 printer & sprayed two coats of sandable spray paint to remove the "stair step" look. Next I airbrush painted the middle section purple (it had to be painted earlier than everything because it was going to be glued inside of the tube). Next I cut a clear acrylic tube into two sections, one for the main tube and the other for the base structure of the crown. To add details onto theses pieces, I cut 2, 4, 8mm EVA foam and sanded, heat treated & glued all the foam pieces to the tube & crown with contact cement glue. Next I epoxied the main tube piece to the 3D printed piece & also the broom to the bottom of it for disassembling (see video 2 of 4 for more info on this). I then waited 24 hours for the epoxy to fully dry then masked off my areas with masking tape and sprayed three coats of Plasti Dip. I then airbrush painted the tube & crown pieces silver & black. Next, I removed all tape and retaped over all silver painted areas and did the final airbrush paint color hot pink. For attaching the crown to the tube, I cut two clear acrylic rods and epoxied them together in a "T" shape. Once the glue had fully dried I epoxied the "T" bar shape to the inside of the crown (with help of a third hand to hold it in place). Another 24 hours later I then epoxied the crown to the 3D printed piece of the tube. The final step was to add the velcro and then the crown & tube piece of Pink Mercy's staff were done!


Staff Wings

To create the staff wings, I first took in game reference images from Overwatch of Mercy's staff. I then created my base lines in Adobe Illustrator. I next cut 2, 4, 8mm EVA foam and sanded the edges. Next I used contact cement glue to attach all the pieces together. After everything was dry I did a final heat treat using a heat gun on all the eva foam pieces. I then used Kwik Seal to fill any unwanted cracks and seams and then sprayed three coats of Plasti Dip. Next, I masked off areas with masking tape and then airbrush painted the pieces silver & black. I then removed all tape and retaped over all silver painted areas and airbrush painted hot pink. After, I masked off the hot pink painted areas and did the final airbrush color pink. Next, I removed the tape and added details with black acrylic paint. The final step was to add the velcro and then the staff wings of Pink Mercy's staff were done!